Droid X Rooted With Froyo 2.2

The other day I used DroidXRoot single click rooting found over at Android Central.  Used it for my Droid X 2.1 build and had zero issues.  I was using ShootMe to create the screenshots you saw at Trillian Goes Droid and Blogaway Over Blogaway Lite Beta.  Then I read the post Hands Android 2.2 For Droid X and got cabin fever to install 2.2.  I used 2.2 on the Nexus One I had for a few months.  The upgrade to Froyo 2.2 was another piece of cake.  I wanted to post a screenshot of my About Phone screen to show I had 2.2 installed.  I clicked on ShootMe and it failed to connect to server.  Immediately figured that the root I had done prior to installing Froyo 2.2 did not follow over with it.  I tried numerous potential solutions like EasyRoot and Universal Root to no avail.  After a day and half of learning Linux commands over at LinuxCommand.org I was tired and frustrated that I could not have root with 2.2.  Then tntdroid over at Adroid Central Forums I was able to determine that I needed to go back to 2.1 and root the phone and move some files to different directories in preparation for upgrading to Froyo 2.2.

I surfed over to Droid X for the instructions How to root the Motorola Droid X. First I followed the instructions to roll my Droid X back to Android 2.1 or back to stock Droid X.  Then followed the instructions to root 2.1 and then upgrade to Froyo 2.2.  I must say after going crazy I was rather pleased at how quick it was to roll back, root and upgrade with the correct directions.

Immediately installed ShootMe to test and as you can see below I am rooted and have Froyo 2.2.












If you have any geekness in you I would recommend rooting and upgrading your Droid X.  Especially after finding out how easy it is to roll back to the original OS.

Happy hacking.

No comments: